Offroading Subarus

Where we modify and drive flat fours

1989 Subaru Brumby, Bobbed front and rear

I was talking to my brother and he said he wants a Subaru to be able to climb this slope he has near his garage. The thing about the slope is it needed a lot better entry angle then a Subaru had. So I started thinking on ideas for bobbing the front of the Brumby (or Subaru Brat as you may know it.) I have thought on this before and decided you could take quite a bit off if you used a 6″ lift and mounted the radiator above the engine sticking part out of the hood. This would also require reinforcing the front of the car as close to the engine as possible. Cutting down pannels and all of that would be easy. But why stop at the front? Most people only bob the back of there Brats/Brumbys. So I thought, may as well take that back as far as you can go. I looked at the frame and decided if you use a fuel cell you could go as far as I did in the picture. Although you may still be able to keep the fuel tank where it is if you gaurd it on the back of the car.

This is my Subaru Brumby. It has a 2″ lift, 27″ kumho M/Ts, and a couple of other mods.

This is the first step. Now it has about 12-14 inches cut out of the rear. And about 6″ cut out of the front. A bit of fender trimming and some new control arms to push the front wheels forward for the next step. The bullbar is modified as well.

This is the 6″ lifted one. It’s running 30″ Kumho Mud Terrains. Along with a T-case swap. Compare the entry and exit angles to my Brumby… Nice eh? Although you can’t see a radiator sticking out the hood, I assure you the real thing would need it. Around 1-2 inches out of the hood I think.



I bought my first Subaru back in 2005, it was a 89 Brumby, flair red. I lifted it, fitted Kumho 27″ MT’s. After a while I swapped the dual carb EA81 it had with an EJ22 bolted on a custom gearbox which used EJ D/R casing, EA82 5sp low range and an RX centre locking diff. Once I sold the Brumby I got a 83 Leone. Converted it to 4WD, put the Kumho’s on it, added a 5sp and drove it like I stole it. I then upgraded to a 99 Outback. It was hail damaged so I repaired it myself. I fitted it out with some storage and a mattress. I now have a 87 Brumby that I’ve resprayed with two pack urethane in Waratah Red. I am planning to fit an EJ with PT gearbox and a little bit of lift. It’s another project in progress.

Phizinza – who has written posts on Offroading Subarus.

December 20th, 2006 by Phizinza
Posted in Concepts