Author Topic: The New Brumby, Bernadette  (Read 20959 times)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
The New Brumby, Bernadette
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »
I owned a Red 89 Brumby back in 2004 to 2008, it was my first car as a teenager. I upgraded it in many respects. EJ22, the tri-hybrid EJ/EA 5sp with centre locking diff gearbox. 27" Kumho MT's with 2 inch body lift. And many many other mods. It was a fun car but after the conversion it became unreliable. I ended up trying to solve problems without spending $$$ on new replacement parts/sensors...

I sold it and bought a Merc (450SEL 79 vintage) as a get me buy car. It was cheap and fun. From there I bought an 83 Leone sedan. I converted it to 4WD with a EA82 5sp. Kept it EA81, no lift but still ran my 27" MT's.

I sold that in search of more room and comfort. I bought a 99 Outback. Kept it pretty simple, no big mods. Just a camping setup consisting of a shelf with a mattress on top. I had many plans for it but again I had issues with it, I got married and my wife wouldn't drive manual and we decided that we wanted a newer auto Forester. But at this stage we were unable to afford that so in the mean time we decided I can get another Brumby while we save for a new car.

So now I introduce Bernadette (named by "MrsPhiz").

Costing $950 from Deniliquin, Drove it home (SA).

It came with 2.25" exhaust, 15" Superlites, tonneau cover, Clarion stereo and 430,000km!
The engine is strong, the gearbox crunches into 3rd and the clutch is near its limit.

I plan on running 13" "wagon wheels", some suspension lift and perhaps a little body lift up front. It will get a hybrid of a EA82 5sp and an EJ D/R box so I don't need an adapter to fit the EJ25 from an 01 Outback. This conversion is going to be a bit different. I will be building a manifold to fit the Weber 34ADM carburettor. I have a 91 Ford Laser distributor to go on which is going to require a slot in the right side came and an adapter to mount the distributor.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:08:50 PM by Phizinza »

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Re: The New Brumby, Bernadette
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »
I picked up a Weber 34ADM from U-Pull-It off an XF Falcon for pretty much nothing as I bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time, come to think of it actually he didn't add it to the receipt, so it was nothing. I bought a full rebuild kit for it from Weber Performance in Melbourne while I was down there, $64.90. I also picked up some more jets and 2 stage idle solenoid that actually works from the wreckers.

I cleaned it up with degreaser then soda blasted it. Cleaned it again with petrol and assembled everything with new diaphragms. It will sit on top of a new custom manifold which I am making out of 1.75" 90degree mandrel bends and some pieces cutout from the shapes of the gaskets.

I'll post up more about the manifold once I start welding it up. For now this carb is ready to be bolted on. It will need a tune but I'll cover that later as well.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
To fit the distributor, taken from an 91 Ford Laser, I need an adapter. I took some measurements, drew something up in CAD then printed a test piece on my RepRap 3D printer. I tried it on for size and made a small adjustment. I've now sent the drawing off to my bro-in-law and hoping to get something back in the next few weeks!

I took the "toggle" off the distributor. I plan to drill out the end of the cam to fit the shaft of the distributor, then cut a slot in for the cotter pin to slide into and drive the distributor.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
The car came with a tonneau cover but no bar. After another trip to the wreckers I grabbed some tonneau buttons and rod holders. I just so happened to have a rod lying around for a Brumby.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
The seats were shot, especially the drivers one with one side collapsed. So out with the old and in with the new 01 Outback cloth seats.

Pictures of self explanatory really.

The Outback seats are a little taller, but still plenty of head room for me. The passenger one is around 20 to 25mm higher while the drivers one with front and back height adjustment is around 10 to 15mm higher when set at the lowest. It feels good when the front is cranked up around 8mm or so though.

100% more comfy than the Brumby seats and 1000% more comfy than the broken seat!

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
Good work Phiz!  I think it's time I start a thread about my brumby too...

That's not a bad price to pick up a runner!  Any rust issues?

And does this mean that Mrs Phiz will be learning how to drive a manual (she should!)?

Cheers

Bennie

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »
I well get her to drive it, so much easier to drive than the Outback. Might do it before the gearbox swap!

Tiny bit of rust in the tray, nothing else I've seen so far.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
Another important mod to do, fix the camber issue.

The left front had 1.7 degrees positive, right front 1.3 degrees positive. Spec is 0.5 to 1.5 I believe. My personal preference is 0 to 0.5 negative.

First step towards my goal was at the bottom end of the strut. Where the control arms mount to the engine crossmember I moved the mounting position and used a washer with part of a bolt welded to it as extra strength and to fill the old hole. This corrected the camber to around 0.7 positive on each side.

I also wanted to correct the caster a little so I put some spacer washers in the radius rods to push the wheel forwards a little. Because I'm not cutting fenders on this car and just running standard sized wheels I am not going to put the Toyota Crown radius rods in as the wheels in the fenders would just look weird.
I've got some nyloc nuts to go on the radius rods to stop it all falling apart now that the nut won't tighten hard up against the sleeve.

Offline 84wagon

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
Apart from cutting guards is there any other reason  or problems with the L series lower control arms and crown radius rods?
Love your new seats but hesitating on mine because the Touring wagon seats are in good nick and I feel a bit like a vandal trashing those grey velour seats

Cheers

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
Only down sides I can think of other than guards and wheel position (appearance) would be putting extra strain on the CV's. This is because not only do you have down angle but you will gain plenty of forward angle. Oh, and you need lots of parts (L control arms, knuckles, hubs, brakes, shafts, rods...)