Author Topic: double damn !!!  (Read 5998 times)

Offline mitch toby

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
double damn !!!
« on: July 14, 2007, 09:00:51 PM »
gday guys,found coolant leak 2day inside car,seems like heater core.a real mission to remove!!was gonna have it pressure tested.r they easy to come across,or is it better just to fix original?

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
double damn !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »
Do you have a wrecker like "u-pull it" near you? I mean one that you can do in there and take the parts off yourself? If you do it would be pretty cheap that way to get a new one. But it is a lot of work getting them in and out.
I wonder if there is anyway you could stop the leak without pulling it out? Some kind of stop leak for radiators that will take the pressure.. Hmm..

I do have one in a 87wagon that would work in yours but I'm not sure if it's anygood and it's a lot of work to find out if it is or not. I could possible pull it for you and test it, and if it's any good post it too. But I think you might be better off budget wise to do it yourself if you have a wrecker like that. I bet normal wreckers would charge through the roof for pulling on of those out.

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
double damn !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
Go get a reco one, they replace the plastic fittings with metal ones so they will never leak again. Cheaper and easier than a 2nd hand one too.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
double damn !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:31:52 PM »
Are the L series ones use plastic where the pipes go on? I didn't know that. The Liberty one is brass and copper all over..
If a new one isn't stupidly priced, as in over $100, then yes a new one would be a good idea. I just see people spending heaps of money on brand new replacement parts which are rarely needed or more reliable then recycling old parts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:42:36 PM by Phizinza »

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
double damn !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »
Im with Phizinza on this one that being said if you ever intended on putting a performance radiator in now would be your best opportunity to do so.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
double damn !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »
Lesscroft, we're talking about the heatercore. I don't think you get performance ones of those FYI. You do however get 3 core alloy Radiators for MY's and L's.

Offline mitch toby

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
double damn !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »
thanks guys,my brother in law works at subaru dealer so ive got a new one comin.i took it to repair shop n they told me that they could repair it but the plastic end caps r a problem.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
double damn !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:57:25 PM »
It's always good to have a insider :smile2:
Good luck on the install process

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
double damn !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
While your there, see if you can get a coup dash, they have a tacho!!! If you don't want it send it to me :biggrin: I can't find one to save my life.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
double damn !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
We're talking L series here aren't we? Don't all L series have tacho's?