Author Topic: stephen mitchell toby  (Read 4305 times)

Offline mitch toby

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« on: July 11, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »
hi guys,ive just bought a 94 l series wagon and im thinkin bout a lift kit.mostly it will be used for beach drivin.how much lift is adequate and who is most reputable manufacturer?

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
it depends what kind of lift you want and what you want it for. From what i have seen its worth while doing about 2inches of suspension and another two inches of body lift so you can get some bigger tires. The Bigger tires also give you extra lift and clearance, not to mention improved entry and exit angles. In terms of brand names for shocks, if thats what ur after, I would shop around a bit and see what is best value for money, I hear great things about tough dog and old man emu but then again I have no name brand suspension and they are great. The best people to talk to are Luke, myexonenine and Phizinza when it comes to anything subaru.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
BYB, Scorpion, Hi-rise.. Just google them. Personally we have had good experience with Hi-rise.
I run 2" body lift on the Brumby and with a little fender cutting/bashing you'll be able to fit 27" tyres. You'll also want a set of Speedy derset rat 14" wheels or something similar (performance superlites, pug wheels.) You might be able to go more lift if you want, 4" is common, and this may let you not have to cut anything. But with stock gearbox and gearing you'll only want to go a maximum of 28" I reckon other wise you loose too much offroad ability. Although if it's just sand you want to drive on, then bigger is better.

Oh, and KYB are about the best shocker you can get that fit right in to the front and rear of the L series.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:59:09 PM by Phizinza »

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:36:20 PM »
Phinz do you reacon $950 is alright for 5 desert rats and a set of khumos?

Offline mitch toby

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »
thanks 4 info guys,will investigate further,ihave a background in panelbeating{a while back},is this goinbg to help me with installation?how long should it take,and what tools r required?

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
You mean the kumho 27" M/T's? Sounds like a bloody good deal.. Second hand or new?
Personally I don't think you need a spare the same, but if you feel you need it then go ahead.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
I used a 3lb hammer to smash the wheel wells back an inch and an angle grinder to take the back of the front fenders back by about 30mm or so..

For fitting the lift kit you may need to use an air rattle gun to remove the bolts. They rust in there pretty good. Also two good jack stands are super usefull.

Offline mitch toby

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »
cheers phiz,sounds like fun! will post sum pics when done,i picked up this beast for 700 bucks,it all seems to be in order mechanically,and has only a little rust {front windscreen,superficial}.this is my first suby and so far im stoked.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »
Well it sounds like ur up for some serious fun swith the fine adjustment tool (BFO Hammer!!!)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
stephen mitchell toby
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 11:34:32 PM »
Yeah, the L's are pretty cheap these days for what they can do (well some do sell for $$$$ but lots of good ones go for $$$.)

Defiantly post some pics what you have the tyres on mate. Mind if I ask what tyres you are looking at fitting? M/T's, A/T's, Road, LT?