Author Topic: Tyres on 14" sunnies  (Read 6035 times)

Offline maxsubi

• Regular User
  • An EA81 Fan!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres on 14" sunnies
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
Aww thanks mate
That sounds like a good conversion. I think i'll go with that
1982 Touring Wagon (future project)
1983 Touring Wagon (on road)
1991 Brumby (current project)
1992 Brumby (on road)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
This isn't saying the EJ22 isn't powerful enough, its a 138hp from factory vs 83hp EA81. But if you want the most power the EJ25 SOHC in a Brumby is the go I reckon.. Turbos are complicated and personally I prefer N/A power delivery.

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
AWD is obviously needed, thats all pretty easy. Just a Liberty box would work fine, then you get some more gearing too with the 1.19 to 1 low range which is good for road driving.

I guess some also swear EA82's OHC was an upgrade......

Phiz, I think you're a little mixed up, 1.19 to 1 is CRAP for offroading - The L's low of 1.59 to 1 is the way to go in the subi world.  Its about the only thing they did right with the L in the drive train, apart from the 5 speed and the signature boxer layout.

As for the OHC EA82's, they were a marketing tool to say they had an overhead cam - it was the latest craze of the mid '80's!

Cheers

Bennie

Offline shuffbag

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
this thread is getting a little side tracked? wait... i looked back and the orig poster twisted the questions a little.

hang on a second bennie and phiz...... if it wasn't for the ea82, the ej series might have been push rod. spose that would have made it easier to fit ej's between the MY's rails :)

every little step foward helps.

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
hang on a second bennie and phiz...... if it wasn't for the ea82, the ej series might have been push rod. spose that would have made it easier to fit ej's between the MY's rails :)

every little step foward helps.

I'm not sure that the EJ would've been a push rod - either way the EA82 could've been a much better engine had a little more time been put into their design without as much watching of the wallet going on...

I don't think the EA82 really was a step forward!  The EJ was several steps ahead and pretty much created another 'bullet proof' subaru motor after the EA81 proved itself - its a title that the EA82 never got, and for good reason too...

Cheers

Bennie

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »
AWD is obviously needed, thats all pretty easy. Just a Liberty box would work fine, then you get some more gearing too with the 1.19 to 1 low range which is good for road driving.
Phiz, I think you're a little mixed up, 1.19 to 1 is CRAP for offroading
I said good for road driving, not offroad driving. ;) . The 1.59 is actually a little too low to use as another set of gears option. Where as the 1.19 gives a good gear between 3rd and 4th, 4th and 5th while on the road. This is useful up hills and also while towing.

if it wasn't for the ea82, the ej series might have been push rod. spose that would have made it easier to fit ej's between the MY's rails :)
The EJ was already in the design process when they decided to make the EA82 OHC motor. So the EA82 was never the step between, just a side track to keep up sales to unknowing customers.

Offline shuffbag

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
nah nah nah im not listening :)

my 82 was bullet proof, but i only had it in my L for a few months.... befor the ej