Author Topic: Locker talk  (Read 5980 times)

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
to phizina, i wasnt saying that auto lockers are bad, i was saying air lockers are a whole lot better.

And yes if i was going to get a locker it would be a "lokka" from 4wd systems cause its all i can afford. Beleive me i know about budgets, im a 2nd apprentice on 8 bucks an hour

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Locker talk
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »
Sorry for getting narky. I'm tired from a big weekend helping my parents and two bad nights of sleep.

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 04:19:27 PM »
Re: the air locker danger thing.

An auto locker with a shaft mounted hand brake or a gb mounted hand brake will remain locked when torque is applied through one wheel, because they work both accelarating and engine braking (they just do leave it at that) and will hold your truck on the slope which you had to park it on to help your mate out.
Now the air locker will remain locked while the engine is on and the tank has air in it. If you had one wheel on a rock and one wheel on slick clay and your air reserve ran out then the locker "may" unlock which could result in your truck slipping down the hill. Not a prob with wheel mounted hand brakes but many 4x4s have drive shaft or gearbox mounted hand brakes so it's just something to be aware of.
Other than this flaw and the fact that you have to remember to turn them on before you get bogged, they are a tough as nails diff. I am lazy by nature and so prefer auto lockers and have not had any worries, yes they do click but the soft lockers are quieter than your tyres and just as tough as the old lockers.