Author Topic: Locker talk  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Locker talk
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:28:26 PM »
I thought I might just start this for the basic reason of talking about differential lockers. What you like, what you've used, what you know..
I just think some good info sharing of lockers would be great. I know this doesn't suit Subaru's much, and that there isn't many non subaru owners on here but what the heck.. More spamming the better.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
yay 4 spam, I spend 2 much time on this forum already but i cant help me obsession with the off road

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
I gave the guys at goannawhere a call and asked about their auto locker for the GQ, they only do a front auto diff locker but the guy i spoke to has one and he reckons its much better to do the front than just the back. it makes sense, all the weight of the car is in the nose from the engine so the front wheel are going to get better traction. in 2 wheel drive the auto locker helps general driving but adds drag and hinders fuel efficiency. considering its a 4wd they dont need to handle like sport cars anyway.

the front locker is only $499 so i reckon im gonna save up for it and if i change my mind in the mean time i can always go with something else. the installation should be the fun part

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Locker talk
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »
I disagree. You are only needing traction going up hills so all the weight is then on the back wheels. Rear locker is better in my mind. But front locker will be better for daily driver as it is never turning and won't be a problem onroad because of the locking hubs.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »
exactly my logic, the other thing is the auto locker is only available for the front. but at that price it would be a nice upgrade to have, it would be great in sand and mud 2, so uphill isnt the only concern. I understand the physics with the car being on a slant the weight would be on the back wheels but i want to know if that balance out weights the engine pushing down. I had some fun today up the road and tested out the low range and the articulation, i cant get over how amazing the stock flex is!!! not to mention the low range, I crawled up a slope without any slip that the feroza needed a run up and my foot to the floor to climb

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 10:41:28 PM »
A locker on the front is better than no locker at all, cos at least one front wheel is always on the ground (if not you have bigger issues than traction :clap:) but wouldn't it make it a pig to steer? I would have thought it would under-steer like a rock sled with a locker on the front, that's why most go for lsd front and locker rear. Don't know cos I've never had a front locker.

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »
auto lockers don't effect steering too much, only on really soft stuff where you easily get wheel spin (wheel spin makes an auto locker lock the spinning wheel, good idea really).
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »
And thats why i want one. im not sure if i have lsd atm tho cause the mav has alot of traction to go around, maybe its the new tyres

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Locker talk
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 09:25:04 AM »
To ease explanation of the auto locker, just think of it as an auto unlocker

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Locker talk
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »
Having a locker in the front makes your steering prettymuch impossible if its engaged whislt turning, And the thing with auto lockers is you cant control what they do. BUt saying that, those "lokka" diff locks are about the only good thing that mob sell.

Personally i'd be staying right away from all their gear, its cheap for a reason, and the reason being that its exactly that, cheap. Its tempting to go the 4wd systems way, but if you pay for a good product once, you wont pay again.

The other thing to consider with having a locker in thje front is that your allot more likely to snap cv joints