Author Topic: sjr or allied armanent lift kits  (Read 5031 times)

Offline ozymandias

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
sjr or allied armanent lift kits
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
i am looking to buy a subaru loyale and planning of lifting it for an allaround vehicle i was looking at the allied armament and the sjr 4 inch lift kits i was wondering if anyone had any advice on which was better the sjr is cheaper but says the steering shaft needs to be lengthened and the allied armament is listed for ea82 between 1985 and 1990.  so im unsure what would work as well. 

for reference i am looking at a 92 loyale for 800 with ea82 manual and some problems or a 90 loyale in better shape for 1700 (which i havent test driven yet and is a manual) i would have liked to find a older one which i hear have the low range transfer case but i cant find any. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated

http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/LiftKit.html

http://www.sjrlift.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=88

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Re: sjr or allied armanent lift kits
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »
AlliedArmament  ("AA") currently don't make liftkits for Subaru's, there website has been out of date for over a year now. Many people I know in the US use SJR lifts and love them. I'm still not sure what Scott (what the S in SJR stands for) does about the steering (if he can work something out for you or if you have to extend it yourself) but you can always email him.

You can fit the Dual Range gearbox in the Loyale's relatively easily I hear, but finding one in the US these days isn't as easy as it used to be. It really does make a big difference offroading too, so I recommend getting one.

Offline ozymandias

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:25:43 AM »
since this has been asked in several other posts the sjr lift kit steering shaft extensions

"most weld shops can do it, cut in half between the joints add a chunk and weld it in  Scott"

i would very much like to get a dual range gearbox but i think i can wait on that and just get this as a daily driver for now but i would have to change out the whole transmission with a dual range right? im sorry i love the dual range in my truck and know how usfull it is but i have no idea how it works. 

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
The low range gears in the Subaru gearbox is quite different to any other. Its acutally the first gears the power goes through, they sit above the front differential. So yes, the whole gearbox needs to be swapped. Great thing about them being up there though is you can shift into low range at any speed you want, they are synchro'd too.

My brother extended is by cutting and sleeving, just find a thick piece of tube that has a inside diameter the same as the steering shafts diameter. Extend how far you need (btw 4" lift doesn't need exactly 4" steering extension, best to fit it in place and tack weld it) and then weld it up. Being steering, my brother first drilled holes thru the tube and shaft then put bolts in. Welded the bolts on too. You know, just in case.