Author Topic: Auto transmission 4WD  (Read 1451 times)

Offline maxsubi

• Regular User
  • An EA81 Fan!!
    • View Profile
Auto transmission 4WD
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
Ok I have an auto in my 83 wagon. I am planning on changing it to a manual one day but for now I just wanna do a bit of four wheel driving. What are peoples opinions/experience with four wheel driving auto subaru's? The biggest issue is not having Dual Range but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Max
1982 Touring Wagon (future project)
1983 Touring Wagon (on road)
1991 Brumby (current project)
1992 Brumby (on road)

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Auto transmission 4WD
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »
There are endless advantages to auto transmission for fourwheel driving, You cant burn out clutches you have more controll over your throttle etc.
I like that even if you dont have low range u can use the torque converter slip to crawl. Problems come about when it desending, a torque converter will alow slip and not give you much in the way of engine braking so you will be ridding the breaks alot more. Provided you have the ability to select a gear you will have no major issues with it changing gears when it feels like it. Auto's really shine when driving on sand, much easier to get the car going in the soft stuff. I like auto 4wd but you cant beat the feeling of controll when u have a manual, I like a car that does as its told when its told.
One dissadvantage would be, regardless of vaunrability, and auto is not going to cope well with mino damage, You can get away with plugging holes with a bit of wood with a manual, or if you bugger gears u can avoid using them. But that isnt a big issue.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to preference.

Offline maxsubi

• Regular User
  • An EA81 Fan!!
    • View Profile
Auto transmission 4WD
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »
Ok thanks for that advice mate. I do like the fact that you can use the auto as an advantage to having a clutch to get out of tricky spots and yes my biggest problem is going down steep hills with the auto because of now low gear to sit in but I usually just use the brakes and I don't usually do fast 4WDriving (except with our bushbasher subaru's). So I think the auto will be fine for now and i'll get the manual one day as a future project.

Max
1982 Touring Wagon (future project)
1983 Touring Wagon (on road)
1991 Brumby (current project)
1992 Brumby (on road)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Auto transmission 4WD
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
Remember what the Toyota Rav4 done on TopGear the other night? Subaru's auto boxes use the same "centre diff" type and give similar results. The only Subaru auto I think is worth it came in late model EJ's. They are called VTD autos. Come with a 4.44 ratio and a planetary centre diff that can be 100% locked up.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Auto transmission 4WD
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:08:56 PM »
Ah I forgot about the centre diff, I stupidly assumed it had a lockable centre differential. That would be a serious problem, ive never seen a planetary diff, might have to look them up