Author Topic: EJ22 conversion info  (Read 3132 times)

Offline brumbyracer

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
EJ22 conversion info
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
Im about to do the ej22 conversion to my brumby. i have a 1990 liberty front wd with the auto box(complete car im wrecking). does anyone know if i can use the bell housing off of the auto, the ea81 bell housing or do i need the manual bellhousing from the ej22. ive read the forum posted on this site but i just want to know what i need as i am going to take a week off work to do it and want to be organised  as there is not much available in the NT.
ALSO-ive got an ej20 turbo which i am putting on it with after market computer. what size injectors do i need for the 2.2l or is this trial and error on the dyno. i havent purchased the computer yet.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
EJ22 conversion info
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
Not sure on the injectors as I've never played around with EJ parts, just put a stock EJ in my Brumby.
But as for the bell housing. Subaru gearboxes don't have a bellhousing you can unbolt, its all part of the casing of the gearbox. Auto gearboxes are very different to manuals so you can swap the casing either. You can however put L series 5sp parts in an EJ dual range gearbox casing and then that will bolt to the EJ engine. But the easiest and most common is to buy an adapter plate which is half an inch thick. Rising Sun Car Service in Adelaide make a steel one and they can also supply the redrilled flywheel which is needed as well for $500 I think. Not sure who else does the adapters in Australia. I have a alloy one just sitting in the shed, I would sell it to you for $80 plus postage then you'd just need to either grid out the holes in the flywheel  or get them redrilled.
Have a read of this PDF someone I know over at USMB wrote up.  http://offroadingsubarus.com/downloads/EA2EJ.pdf

Offline Maxxair

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
EJ22 conversion info
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »
hey mate. i have a Bible for the conversion. ask me and ill email it to you, if you havent got it already. i used it to do the wiring of the ECU and TCU in my EJ22/SVX Auto 83 ute, and i am NO electrician. you need this book.

work out what U wanna to do with the Gbox, illd go 5 speed Dual range from the Lseries. with the adaptor plate. make sure the front diff matches the rear, change both.

on the computer side of things up to u of course wheter u wana get it running with the ECU, then turbo it withe the new comp.
or skip the ECU and go custom strait up.

Offline brumbyracer

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
EJ22 conversion info
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
I can get my hands on a 5 spd box and diff as my mate has a wreck and thats all thats left in it. whats the deal with the 4wd button on the top of the gear shifter? Is it solinoid activated 4wd or is it still manually activated with the lever.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
EJ22 conversion info
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:37 AM »
Solenoid, and it won't have dual range.

Offline Maxxair

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
EJ22 conversion info
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
yea, dunno. get one with two gear levers. theyre good. dunno bout those others u speak of, never seen one.