Author Topic: 4runner whinch bar installation  (Read 9245 times)

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
4runner whinch bar installation
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
yes your correct. A set of simex's are a whole different thing though! you said the 80 with muds couldnt get up. ET's will do anything with ease. But that does suprise me that it stopped halfway up and then kept drivin. Must have had lockers

A suby with a bit of clearance would get further than a diesel GQ with muds allot of the time

im not saying im right, this is just my experience!

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
The 80 series was one 31x10.5's.. This 70 series was on at least 35x12.5's, I'd say morel ike 13.5 or maybe wider.
It was an amazing machine.

But talking about that 80 series, there was also a 3L pajero with an air locker, 31x10.5 M/T's, and a couple of other small things. It went up every sand hill I could make it up in the Brumby with the 27x8.5 M/T's and the EA81dc (1.8L dual carb.) It even made it up one hill I decided not to as my engine was pinging like hell and I really didn't want to pop a piston 280km from home.. This was at Dorado Downs. You can watch the video of my car there on my website.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »
That 70 series was running Micky Thomson Baja Claws, as for size i think it was 35x12.5's but i agree with Phizinza, i wouldnt rule out the possibility of 13.5's . I actually think the mud terrains worked against you on the sand. Every time we got bogged the mud terrains would dig holes where as the feroza (running AT's) would just reverse out of the hole and take a run up. I reckon tread isnt the most important thing on sand. id say surface area is far more important. Think of the dune buggies, some of them run slicks, they're just really wide. It must help that their cars weigh about 400kgs but still. Then again if you look at the X-Trucks they just have small but wide tyres with big lines of rubber that work like caterpiller tread rather than tyres. I like it when the cross water!!! who needs a snorkle when you can stay ontop of the water!

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »
Roger looked into it and he figured they weren't Micky T's.. They were the Simex ones.

You should of seen my Brumby down on the sand with the 215 wide direction street tyres, lol.. It had no hope. Even with the rear welded, it still didn't want to go through the soft stuff.. Got bogged, but only needed a push out. Still, it was some of the best drifting fun I have had with them... Can't wait till we get back up to loveday so I can play on that rally part of the track, hehe..

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 12:44:24 PM »
i havent had a chance to try my muddies on the sand yet, (gotta get down tot he mouth sometime)but im fairly sure lesscroft is right about muddies in sand. They dig in lots ive heard, apparently h/ts or a/ts are real good on sand. I got a mate with a gq on 35" claws and he reckons it sucks ass in the sand, just digs right in

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
Would be very nice in the mud tho.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »
Some A/Ts aren't good I've seen, most H/T's are pretty good in sand.. I've only really seen Subaru's on sand with either bald 185 van tyres, 185 M/T's, 215 M/T's and my 215 directional's. The directionals were the worse. The van tyres were pretty good concidering, but my 215mm muds beat them all. The next set of tyres I'm gonna get are gonna be 235 wide A/T's..
Also when on sand, your 10x better off if you air down to 12 to 15psi.. I saw a stock subie (probably 175/70R13's) going down the mouth and it looked like he had 7 or 8 psi in his tyres. Didn't see him cross the "hard" part, but there was a bogged bigger 4WD there and he was at the mouth so The airing down must of made a difference huge.

I've found that AT, HT, road and light truck tyres are great for beaches, but if you want to climb M/T's kick arse. And then with a locked rear, it's even better.

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 02:00:59 PM »
airing down is the key ingrediant to sand driving!

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »
Most of the time I don't bother airing down with my M/T's on beaches.. But if there are dunes to climb I take them down to about 15psi..

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
I was driving in the ruts and I think the fact that I have 12.5" wide tyres slowed me down, if I aired down they would just be wider, maybe I would have been better off airing down and not driving in the ruts!
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table