Author Topic: Tyre Choice  (Read 1500 times)

Offline The_Bronze.

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:43:23 PM »
Hoping you guys can give me the good juice on tyre choice. Would like to borrow from your collective experience please.

Ok. You need to know what sort of driving I do.

10% sand driving on very soft sand at Stockton Beach. Unsure if I can still do this with the Brumby. = soft walls with strong beads that can handle deflation.
10% offroading river side tracks in mud and dirt accessing fishing and cache spots. = good grip and some aggressive pattern.
80% long distance all weather 100 - 110kph road travel on sealed roads.

Rims - I will most probably accept this offer for a set of 4 15' sunraysias.

I have a preference for Coopers Tyres as I have them on the Forester but am willing to listen to the body of experience you guys (and gals) have here. I'm not worried about tyre noise and price isn't too much of a consideration. I would like to go a little larger for some height but want to not throw my speedo out too much and not compromise turning circle and ease of steering.

Fire away guys. I'm all ears.

Bronze.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Tyre Choice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »
Try not to go over 28" OD and try to get 235+ wide... Thats about all the advice I can give if your running 15's. Just look at every brands options. Kumho, Toyo, Bridgestone, BFgoodrich, Cooper, etc,etc,etc,etc.. There are way to many brands and sizes out there to list.. I was thinking of getting some BFGoodrish A/T 235/75R15's for my Brumby but I fear they will screw my gearing up too mcuh.. But for what a Subaru should be doing offroad I guess loosing a little more gearing isn't going to be too bad.

Offline The_Bronze.

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks Phizinza. Appreciate your advice. Anyone else been here done that?

B.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:53:16 PM by The_Bronze. »

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
Tyre Choice
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »
The Cooper ATRs come in a wide range of sizes for 15s and I've read good things about them, not sure how well they deflate though. The light truck construction prolly has a harder sidewall but has deeper tread.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/atr_specs.htm
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table