Author Topic: CBs and UHFs  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Phafin

• Regular User
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
What do you guys like and how have you installed them.

I'm thinking of getting a bit old school on Frank (my L-series) and putting a roof mount arial in for my CB. You get better range but it looks a bit .... odd

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »
If your going to do roof mount aerial I suggest roof mount CB. Shorter the cable the better, not that it really matters with a shielded cable anywho.
In the Brumby I have both VHF and UHF (inherited the VHF.) The VHF is mounted between the seats facing forward. If you flip the mirror up you can see it in the mirror. I have my UHF below it mounted on the back of the centre console thing behind the handbrake. It's upside down but if you look at it while driving the numbers are up the right way. The UHF aerial is mounted on the ball bar. The VHF is on the roof and bumps into everything, even some carpark clearance things. It also makes music while driving at particular speeds. :rolleyes:

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:25 PM »
i have my cb mounted just to the left of my steering wheel. surprisingly you legs dont get anywhere near it and its really easy to reach for while driving. the mic is mounted just on the top right hand corner of my dash. this was all easy to install because the panel below and around my steering wheel is made of metal. Nice and strong! ah the joys of a Maverick. The Brand badge is crap but i dont care what anyone says, Maverick is a much better name than Patrol. Why would i want to be something that looks around and guards things when i can be a rebel that pushes the boundaries and goes against the Norm!!! Maverick all the way!
anywho back to CB's if you've got the leg room its a great place to have the control unit for easy of use.

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
wouldnt bother with a cb personally, not enuff people use it. UHF is the go.

Ive got my uniden mounted under my mp3 deck, prob not the best spot (people wanting to seat it) but its out of the way and dont have to worry bout, the mic just wraps to the other side of the console

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
CB = Citizens' Band. It comes in both VHF (29Mhz+) and UHF (400Mhz+) The Marine units use the same "UHF" and "VHF" names but operate on different frequencies and have 80 odd channels.

If your just using your "CB" for group gatherings and convoys then a handheld does the trick and is really useful as you can get out of your car and carry it around.
If your needing it for touring, get a in car type.
If your lucky, get both!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:43:11 AM by Phizinza »

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:44:58 AM »
Sorry, made a mistake.. CB VHF is actually 27Mhz+ which is weird because the VHF frequencies start at 30Mhz to my knowledge.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
im luck and i have a hand held and in car uniden. money well spent. thanks dick smiths! i like the in car for convoys and the hand held is great cause i can give it to tash in tricky spots and she guides me or screams abuse to distract me. ah the joys of a girlfriend who likes off roading. pitty shes such a good driver, it makes it hard to hang shit on her. Funny thing is she drives better of road than she does on. argh im changing the topic again. so yeah radios are great, radios are cool, they'l save your life if youve been a fool!
hahaha im a poet and i didnt even know it.

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
I say make it look like an RC car like phiz's brumby :biggrin:  I have an ancient Uniden that I've pushed into the console and just leave the mic in the centre console next to the seat,  I would also suggest an external speaker for it as it has made a huge difference on mine.

I wouldn't spend anymore than the cost of a uniden from dick smiths, and I really like that kit lesscroft and I got (which is in phiz's car), the only other one I would consider is the Icom one that is detuned to 5W and then I would find out how to boost it back up to 45W :brow:
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline KAIZEE

• Post Happy User
  • Lets do that again...
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
just  got a new uhf and was wondering how to wire up the antenner, mainly the plug to the wire,

any idears
97 Prado, 99 Vitara SWB

Offline Uriah

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
CBs and UHFs
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »
make sure you use a uhf antena not radio or mobile phone

i once cheated and rigged dads up to the old mobile setup
didn't work