Author Topic: Sand Flag needed for upcoming trip  (Read 2876 times)

Offline DieselFozz

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
Sand Flag needed for upcoming trip
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Heading out to Peake for the 2nd time week after Easter for a play in the dunes and am starting to plan things. Last time I went (November) I didn't have a flag, and given the nature of the place and the size of some of the dunes, a flag is really an essential item. My Fozz doesn't have a front bar just roof racks.

Just wondering what methods/materials some of you may have used previously for a roof rack mounted flag. Buying a ready made flag from a 4wd shop would be overkill to put on the roof - far too tall.  My Fozz has Thule aero bars on it - they have a sort of oval profile, if that makes sense.

Let's bounce some ideas...

Cheers
2010 Forester Diesel, pushy, running shoes, hiking boots.

Offline M0rpH

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Flag needed for upcoming trip
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
This is something that has been lurking in the back of my mind lately as i (slowly) gather all the necessary bits and pieces for outback and offroad traveling.

A friend mentioned the option to me of getting one of the big white aerials when i get a uhf radio and attach a flag to that for dune hopping.

After looking at the nose of your car i suppose you are struggling a bit for mounting points?
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild and upgrade.

Offline M0rpH

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Off the top of my head (haven't had my morning cuppa yet)  8-O

A decent size piece of white electrical conduit and a similar length piece of wooden dowel through the center (while keeping enough flex for speed) attached to the front roof rack using a suitable u bolt?
Or if you know someone with an old shortish uglystik they don't want.

Use a piece of rope or string attached to the base then tied to the rear roof rack to counteract the pull from the flag at speed.
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild and upgrade.

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
I use a piece of the orange conduit with a decent sized flag, no use having some pissy little flag up top that can't be seen.

I'd also try to have the pole mounted on the front of the vehicle, much much much more effective than on the roof or worse still the back of the car - I've seen it done many times which is dissappointing!

Here's my setup usually:

I've been thinking about adding a wooden pole to the lower half to stop a lot of the flex in the pole but it's on "that to do" list ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Offline M0rpH

• Frequent User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Haha.. yeah my to do list is a bit of a rainy day chores list myself.
Wasn't trying to steal your idea Bennie, just had a few pieces of conduit laying next the shed while the kettle was boiling and put two and two together.

Might wait and see what the OP says, for all i know they might have already invested in a roo bar, bull bar or a nudge bar.
There are always ways and means, just depends on whether you care more about how it looks rather than how it functions.

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Nah Morph, not steeling my idea...  I've always been told that great minds think alike, but mum has also always said that fools beg to differ.

I'm still yet to shove some wooden dowel in the pipe...  This is my second one, I broke the first trying to make a large aerial to get triple J on the Mitta for Oz day a couple of years back.  Lucky the stuff is relatively cheap!

Cheers

Bennie

Offline DieselFozz

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, fellas and great pic there, Bennie. I've always have a weakness for L's and am currently resisting the urge to buy one. Keep scouring the classifieds for them and stalk people on the road when I see them! Also 'talk' to them in car parks and make comments such as ''aren't you a sweet old darling" etc, at which point my friends turn away and tell me that my Subie obsession has gone a bit far, probably has.

Anyway, back on topic, as I don't have a front bar (not sure I want one either at this point in time - maybe when its older), it has to go on the roof. I think if I use a strong aerial mount and some whip cable it should be pretty good. Might head down to Jaycar and see what they have, if they still do that sort of stuff.  Peake is not a place that you can really race around at top speed, anyway. Would also be detaching it for driving on the road. Week after Easter, can't wait!
2010 Forester Diesel, pushy, running shoes, hiking boots.

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »
So how'd it all go?  Got one sorted?  Got pics??

Cheers

Bennie