Author Topic: Recovery points on the brumby  (Read 4113 times)

Offline happykid55

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Recovery points on the brumby
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
What are the options for upgrading the recovery points on the front and maybe rear of the brumby?
At the moment there is a small loop intended i would say for towing but its quite flimsy and I can't imagine a snatch recovery ending too well off it.. although the car is light i feel as though there should be a better option.
any ideas?
ur.a.bus

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Re: Recovery points on the brumby
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
Although people say not to I use the tow bar for the rear, it is the strongest mount on the back. Just don't use the ball.
On the front I used to use the bullbar as it's mounts were reasonable. Just never pulled hard on it. But better then that is to get a hook from an old 4wd and find the thickest part of body you can down near those tow points. Couple of m14 bolts and it seems to do the job.

Offline happykid55

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
got a nice sturdy hook off a truck at the wreckers today, looks like it has high tensile bolts too, now its just a matter of working out where to fit it.
ur.a.bus

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Just so you know, those factory loops are usually tie down loops to hold the car on to something, there are tow specific loops on more modern cars.
as Phiz says, you could drill and bolt some actual rated recovery hooks to the thickest part of the body up the front, and you could use the tow bar along with a rated D shackle at the rear, it worked for me.  But only do stuff you feel safe with and can trust, too many accidents happen with pieces of car/recovery gear hitting people and killing them.
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline happykid55

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
Yeh ive heard many a horror story related to recovery so I wanted to make sure I get it onto somewhere that is suitable on the car.
Im thinking of putting it on the same place where the bull bar attaches, and cut a hole in the front of the bull bar for access.
It seems that on the front that is the most secure place to attach.
ur.a.bus

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »
you could try and incorporate something like Outback Ideas make, similar to the ones in this pic, rather than the normal hook, more attachment point/bolting points makes a stronger connection to the car.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:13:56 PM by Roger »
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline DieselFozz

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
Good topic. I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Have you come up with a solution yet? I am fairly new to offroading in my Forester. Have been doing a little bit here and there, nothing beyond my limits. Recently, I went on a trip to the sand dunes at Peake. The stability control (which you can't turn off) was very annoying. Let's just say that I will be disabling the responsible fuses next time I visit any sand - will post about that next time I go.  I didn't get stuck at all though - maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Was a good learning trip and I saw gear being used and learnt how to use some, so I now have an idea of what I need. Afterwards, I thought about the issues that could come up with front recoveries with the tie down eyes. Recovering from the rear won't be an issue as I've got a receiver style towbar so I can either use the hitch pin (not sure how safe that really is) or I can use one of those receiver mounted shackle things.

When looking at front recovery options, I came across towhooks from Subaxtreme. These towhooks don't look like they will suit my car, but they might suit yours:

http://www.subaxtreme.com.au/subaru/bullbars/towhooks.html

Also, a bridle could be used with a snatch strap to lessen the load between the tie downs:

http://www.4x4equip.com.au/showProduct/4x4+Accessories/Recovery+Gear/IDH-23-1/Recovery+Bridle

Just some ideas...
2010 Forester Diesel, pushy, running shoes, hiking boots.

Offline happykid55

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
I found the same when driving my dad's pajero on sand, fortunately the traction control can be turned off on that.
Those tow hooks look like a step in the right direction, ill contact them for some pricing.
*Edit* I found the pricing, but it says they will suit only forester and outback.
Does anybody know whether the tie down spots on the brumby match those in the 97-02 forester or 99-03 outback?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:42:55 PM by happykid55 »
ur.a.bus

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
No, but I'll take a photo and measure if you like...

Offline happykid55

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »
If you want, I don't think id get them, its $130 for the pair plus what ever postage would be.
ur.a.bus