Author Topic: atv tire???  (Read 2289 times)

Offline qc89sc

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
atv tire???
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »
hi everyone im new here i have a subaru legacy 1996 i plan to do a lift kit about 2 to 4 inch i have stock 14inch rims my question is can i use atv 14inch tire on my subaru 14inch rim?

the tire im thinking about is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxxis-30-9-14-Zilla-ATV-UTV-Mud-Tire-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d1Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d141415969045992681QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ130370251328

theyre cheap and look like to be what i need maybe 30inch tall is too much but thats not the question for now!

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Re: atv tire???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
I've seen this ATV tire subject talked about on another Subaru forum before. Most people seemed to think they weren't load rated high enough. Or the fact they are only suppose to be run at 5 to 10 psi on ATV's and wouldn't take the load at higher pressure. But there was a couple you had 27" OD ATV tyres running on 14" rims on their older EA81 (MY) and EA82 (L series) Subaru's. They loved them and reported no problems at all. Of course they wouldn't use them on any hard surface roads, offroad only. They also found ones with weight loading to add up to above the weight of the car. But as some people said you always add weight to cars, whether with mods or tools and equipment to go offroading with.

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
looking at the ones on our ATV at work here, they are very very soft and have a recommended running pressure of 7psi, I would not use those ones on a car on the road, not designed for many miles... but would be awesome as offroad only tyres :) and go very well with bead locks
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline qc89sc

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
i only offroad with my subaru its rusted and no more bumper on it so police officer dont like it ;) if i use road its from one trail to another so i think it would handle! i only need to know the weigh it can handle? also i have real cheap 14inch rim so i would have to make some custom beadlock. I think if i can bead the tire on the rim the only problem is the weigh we always are 4-5 people in the car plus a lot of tool in the cargo for trail repair the main reason i want to use them is that they are a way cheaper and easier to find than the little 14or15 inch super swamper! but i dont want to call the tire and have to sell them cause they dont fit! I need to be 100% sure before buying those!

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »
Well take into consideration the offset of the rims you want the tires on, get out the tap measure and measure the gap around the current wheels when turned and preferably flexed. That should answer if they will fit or not. Remember to get the actual inch outside diameter of the tyre, not their "named" size. 27" tyres can vary from 26.3 to 27.7 inches outside diameter from what I have seen.

For bead locks if you aren't moving fast, maybe something like what dirt bikes have, a block of rubber that tightens up pushing the bead on? Do two, three or four of them and it should hold I would think. You'd have to run tubes though.. Which act as good bead locks in them selves I have found.

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
have a look at tyres for RTV's rather than ATV's maybe, these would have better load rating ;)
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table