Author Topic: Home made snorkles  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
Ok, I want a snorkle for my car and like lots of other people i am not willing to fork out big bucks for a safari snorkle when i can build something stronger, better free flow and all for alot less money. Phininza, if ur getting a pipe bender (mandrel im assuming) u mentioned using 3inch pipe. is it best to use steel or alluminium, i was thinking steel cause its easier to work with. I was thinking an easy way to get some pipe would be to grab it from a car at u pull it, but i think i would have to clean it up alot. whats the best option for all this?
i had planned to use 3 pipes with two corner pieces and then just chucking a head ontop.
im sure one pipe would look alot neater but is it going to be cheaper or worth while?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:06:37 AM by Phizinza »

Offline lukes6

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:03:56 AM »
Mate it would be awesome if Phininza got a mandrel bender but im guessing he will only be getting a good normal pipe bender as from what i understand, a mandrel bender costs something like $5000 (might be wrong, i hope i am)
As far as making a snorkel i found it worked quite well cutting pipe at an angle and twisting it to get the bend.
I know its not very free flowing but it was free($$$)and looks pretty good when painted up.
I personally wouldnt worry about getting pipe from u pull it as it isnt all that expensive and you dont really need much. Old pipe is a pain to work with and you just wont be able to get it to look good without sandblasting it.  
A snorkel is a good project to take on but it is a little nerve racking as you start hacking into you panels.

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
thats the part i dont like, take a drill and various other tools to the side of my car, i d0nt want to buy a new air box so im just gonna remove my pre filter box and connect the filter where to two box's join ill post a picture for those who dont know whaar kind of crazy set up the maverick has.

Offline slowlux

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
you dont need a pipe bender chris, just get some rubber elbows. And use stainless steel. I'm hopefully gettin one made up soon

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Home made snorkles
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
I think the mandrel benders are a fair bit more thne $5000, but I am not sure either..

The way we done lukes (without a bender) was easy and because of no bends it could take much tighter angles which made entry into the car much easier.
You will want 3" pipe on a 4.2L Diesel I say... Just go to Hills Industries at Lonsdale for some short scrapes of pipe. I would go with steel, galve or stainless.

The pipe bender we're getting is going to be a bit of a mod job. It's a 12tonn press with the pipe bender tools fixed up so it gets a better bend then just a kink bender would. Hard to explain, I'll show you later. But your not going to get a very tight right angle out of it still..

Rubber corners sound like an alright idea. I don't really like the idea of them getting damaged by trees and stuff but maybe it would work good.

Oh and, please read here http://offroadingsubarus.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=94.. I've fixed this post now but it would be nice if you all try to put your posts and Whispers in the right place to start with
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:01:32 PM by Phizinza »

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pongrass-50-H2-Mandrel-Tube-Bender_W0QQitemZ250147028434QQihZ015QQcategoryZ105830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A basic second hand one...  I can't really afford that!

the bender I am going to get/make should bend 75mm pipe fine, but not sure on how thick the wall would have to be.
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »
And why fancy interiors aren't! along with all that fancy video/audio stuff everyone wants, I would only have to dry out my CB after a crossing like that :)
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline Lesscroft

• Happy Camper
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »
me 2

Offline DOM

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Home made snorkles
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
this is what chris is like when he finds something new to do: