Author Topic: Welded diff  (Read 1268 times)

Offline thunderwolf90

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
Welded diff
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
Why do people pull the right rear axle after welding the diff?

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Re: Welded diff
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
The diff sits slightly to the left and this makes the right side easier to pull off. You may still need longer shocks to give enough drop/enough extension to pull the shaft out.

Offline thunderwolf90

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
I actually want to know.  Why is the axle pulled. What does it benefit or what is harmed in leaving it in?

Offline thunderwolf90

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »
I am asking about a 1981 Subaru Brat that has a hi low 2 wheel transfer case.  I don't see a reason if I am able to put it in 2wheel drive.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:32:56 AM »
When turning the left and right side of the car travel at a different rate. This will cause "binding" in the rear shafts and the only way for the bind to dissipate is for a tyre to slip. They work for a good long while, I've done it before and put around 5000km onroad on a welded rear diff, then 3 race weekends once we put that diff in the race car. But eventually the weak splined stub shafts in the diff get fatigued and snap. That usually results in the shaft ripping apart at the same time too.

Offline thunderwolf90

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
Thanks. I knew there would be tire scrub, but I didn't think the axles would have a problem with it. Good to know. This is primarily an off road play toy, so I'm thinking I won't really have a problem.

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:58 PM »
I drove from Adelaide to Bendigo and back with the diff welded and both rear shafts in place, plus a heap of offroading in the middle. And that wasn't the only time I drove the car with the welded diff and both shafts in. But eventually the stubs in the diff will blow. Annoyingly the stubs are hard to remove due to the undersized torx head on the 10mm bolt that holds them in. I've stripped the top of a couple rendering the diff impossible to replace the stubs on. If'd you've got a few spare shafts and a diff or two lying around just go for it and leave them in there.