Author Topic: Lifting an Outback  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
Lifting an Outback
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
I'll be lifting my Outback soon but I'm not sure on one thing.

I've already sorted out how much lift. Just the way I am going to obtain this is where I'm stuck.
I'll be lifting the front with 30mm body lift and 35mm suspension lift on top of that. I'll equal this with 65mm suspension lift in the back.

Option one involves using strut inserts for the front, these will be longer and with a little work to the strut casing as well as using some ebay coilover kits I'll not need a strut top lift (even for the 30mm body lift, the struts will be 65mm longer) and I'll have height adjustment with the coilovers. I'll use the existing springs because they are still good and I don't want to stiffen the ride.
The rear I was thinking of getting longer struts from an Audi and using coilovers again with the existing springs to get height adjustability.
The problem I have with this option is it would require me to buy 2 inserts, 2 struts and a coilover kit. The gain would be only minimal extra suspension travel and height adjustability, which would be nice in the back when loading it up for touring. I was also thinking I could use adjustable valve 4WD shocks in the rear with some fabrication to convert them to coilover... This would give me stupidly long travel.

Option two involves making strut tops 65mm, lifting the engine and gearbox mounts 30mm and replacing the old worn out front struts.
It would be more fabrication but much cheaper. No adjust, and no extra travel.

So I'm not sure which way to go. I am really thinking it isn't worth trying to make this car better offroad, but just make it so I'll get less damage offroad. So perhaps I should not bother about extra travel on the suspension...?

Thoughts?

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
Re: Lifting an Outback
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
Hehehe...  At the good old crossroads eh?  Classic.

I'd say go with what will make you the happiest or go with a compromise between what you're happy with and what it's going to cost.  Bang for buck basically...

Once again you've thought it through enough to know the options you've got there.  Thought about the full body lift??  Venom has a 2 inch all round on his liberty, he's stoked with it.

Cheers

Bennie

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
Yeah I did think about full body lift. But the front driveshafts have less angle then stock L series ones and they are beefier so should take the same angle with the extra weight. Also the rear driveshafts are flat and with 100kg in the back end up being angled the other way. I've jacked it up and I can easily gain 65mm suspension lift in the back without the driveshafts becoming a problem. And because of the top link on the Gen 3 Outback's rear suspension it means the camber won't change more then a decimal place of degrees with that amount of lift.

Considering the front has about 200mm of travel I really don't think I am going to achieve more with custom struts. :/
But it would be different..

I've also got KYB's in the back with less than 20,000km on it. So it would be a shame to replace them.

I could always do the inserts in the front and a simple block lift in the back...

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
Or should I go with just 50mm, 15mm body lift in the front, 35 suspension and 50 suspension in the rear... Being that 50mm is legal... Hmmm

Offline el_freddo

• Post Happy User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »
So what have you decided on??

Got anything in the pipeline yet?

Cheers

Bennie

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »
Still tossing up on 40mm suspension or 65mm combo. It will really depend on if I can find a dead pair of second hand front shocks to butcher.