Author Topic: Taking the old brumby to the river  (Read 1682 times)

Offline RidgeRoadRacing

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
Taking the old brumby to the river
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »
What will I need to seal up if I'm going to take the brumby for a swim??  Will the dizy need a breather when it is all sealed up. 

Offline Roger

• Post Happy User
  • I fix and make stuff...
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the old brumby to the river
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »
My brother and I have found the best way to seal the distributor is to pretty much fill it with axle grease, not sure how well the car will drive if driven for hundreds of K's but it worked for the Loveday races :)  No need for a breather with the grease, we tried silicone and breather but it kept getting water in it anyway...
105 Landcruiser - 3" lift - 33" MTZs - LPG injection - Tigerz11 winch - Bull lamps - DIY on board air - rear drawers/bed/table

Offline Phizinza

• Fizz-in-za
  • Administrator
  • Happy Camper
  • Yip yip
    • View Profile
    • Offroading Subarus
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »
There is a hole in the bottom of the disty about 5mm dia. What I've done is sealed this up, drilled a small hole in the side of it and used a piece of break line squeezed in there like a interference fit. then ran a vac line off that into the airbox. But that still wasn't 100% proof. So yeah, we ended doing what Roger said. I found after a few hundred km's on the road (put that disty in my road car after the racing) it started to run rough and it was because of the burnt grease building up carbon which conducts.

Offline jordwaine

• Newbie Subie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
we just put a rubber glove over the distributer cap works like a charm for us hahaha